Sunday, November 23, 2008

NOVEMBER 23..YIKES!!!! I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE UNDER MY BED

It's a bit after midnight and I'm all alone-well I have the dog pushing against my leg, wimpering, but basically I'm all alone.  And there was just a big earthquake, which woke me up out of a sound sleep brought on by a day spent walking the streets of San Jose.

I bolted from the bed, stepping on the water glass which had crashed and broken on the floor when the quake tumbled it off.  I was under the bedroom doorway before I was even totally awake-Dobbie at my side shaking as hard as the house.

It was a sharp quake, not a roller.  One that caused the house to thump up and down like a monster was stomping on the ground outside.  My youth, spent in Los Angeles, served me well as my body knew just what to do..get under a doorway.

I haven't been here very long and don't really know anybody well enough to think they might check on me.  Or I might check on them.  Fortunately my #2 son, Russ, was online and I was able to chat with him as I decompressed from the shock of the quake.  I am so glad he was there as I am on the verge of freaking out!

I know there are lots of quakes here in Costa Rica.  My sis told me about one she was in that made her run out of a hotel in her PJ's only to discover she was the only person who did so.  I just can't be blaze' about earthquakes though..not after so many of them in my childhood.

Freaky-I doubt I'll get much more sleep.

edit  I did get back to sleep and was just a bit late getting into San Jose.  No one on the bus was talking about the quake at all-not in San Jose.  I checked the quake reporting site and discovered the quake epicenter was just 10 Km away which is pretty close.  Near the Volcan Poas it seems.

Hmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment