Thursday, November 13, 2008

NOVEMBER 13, 2008-THE SCHOOL

One of the nicest things I read prior to coming here was something a group of norteamericano and other ex-pats have been doing for several years--encouraging touristas to bring books for the schools.  Just a book or two tucked in the luggage and donated to a primary or secondary school is greatly appreciated.

Costa Rica, which does not have a standing army and hasn't had for 60 years in order to support a national health plan and education for almost every child does not have many books in the bibleotecas-libraries-in the schools.  I dunno why, it simply is the way it is.  What is there usually pertains to religious reading.  So when tourists bring books they are devoured by the kids.

My largest suitcase, which I lovingly call R2D2 as it's about that big, was stuffed to the gills with books I volunteered hours in exchange for at the Hillsboro and Tanasbourne Libraries.  Some in spanish, some in english.  Additionally I bought Harry Potter in both languages, Scooby-Do in both languages and a raft of comic books.  And art supplies, which I had looked for my last trip and never found...kids type tray watercolors, paper, pencils, sketch books and so on.

Today we took it to the escuella in Santa Rosa de Poas where Bev goes every week to read, in english, with the kids.  It's a great opportunity to spend time with children and I hope to avail myself of the opportunity.

The books, mostly discards from the libraries, were greatly welcome by the children.  The classes here are not especially large..about 20 kids per class..and a couple of classes came thru the library every half hour to look over available books and choose one to take home and read.  The older kids glommed onto the comic books-the boys to action heros and the girls to Betty and Veronica, who still dress like they did in 1960!  Harry Potter was an instant success for the older kids.  Everyone wanted the first book, even though most of the kids have seen all the movies, reading the book seems much different to them.  Both the english version and spanish copies were quickly gone.

I was introduced to half a dozen children whose teachers felt they would appreciate the art supplies and handed out the watercolors and paper, sketch books and fine line sketch pens I love, watercolor pencils and brushes to these beautiful kids, one of whom catches the bus just down the hill from Bevs house.  I see her every morning and have wished I could draw faces-she is so beautiful.

All in all, I feel the tariff I paid for R2D2 being overweight was worth it.  If you come to Costa Rica, slip a few books for school age kids into your luggage and ask at the hotel or B&B to be directed to the nearest school.  It's a good thing to do.

I'm looking forward to taking her place here in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment