Friday, December 5, 2008

IS IT STILL CALLED MONTEZUMAS REVENGE IN COSTA RICA??

Whatever it's called, it has me in its clutches! On the way home from SJ, on the very crowded bus yesterday afternoon, I started to feel a cramping in my gut. I'd eaten at a different soda close to the dentists-had an empanada pollo and a large orange drink -nothing really exotic, after all it's difficult to eat anything when your lips are numb and feel like they are about 2" thick.

The cramping turned to burpy gas and then, as we made it to the Grecia turnoff, they turned to...well....the serious poops. I had a newspaper in my purse (Thank you Tico Times) that I immediately shoved under my butt, but...it was too late.

Of course I had white capris on. I had no idea what I should do-rent a room for a shower and buy another pair of pants? buy a sweater to wrap over my butt, which was stained AND oderous? Is this too much information? I waited for everyone else to get off the bus and slithered out the back door-thinking I should leave some money on the seat because SOMEONE was going to have to clean that up.

TMI again?

Maybe, but along with other things, I discovered a visitor needs to know what 'issues' such as the poops are called in a foreign country.

Last weekend I met a nice woman who had just gotten out of the hospital here-and she speaks GOOD spanish. But she and her nursing staff and the doctor were muy frustrated because she did not know the words for those answers to questions that they ask you after surgery.

"Have you moved your bowels?"
"Have you urinated?"

She knew how to say I'm in pain-they teach ya that in travel books. They don't tell you what the spanish form of Peptol-Bismo is called. I had no muscle aches or any flu like symptoms, so I figured I had a touch of food poisoning from the empanada-and it was really good too!

I ended up going into a washroom and cleaning up as best I could-fortunately no one else came in-then walking thru the twilight to a cab. About half way thru the trip, I could tell the driver knew it wasn't bull shit he smelt, no chicken manure or even composted vegetable matter. It was his gringa tourista, feeling sicker by the curve as we rode up and down the hills.

Finally got to Bevs house and I paid him double for his patience, I did buy another paper to use, then stood in the shower for about an hour while I got clean.

Too much information? Sorry-it's reality when traveling where the bugs are new to the body..amazingly it took 3 weeks to hit me!

So remember, when traveling, either take the Peptol or find out what it's called, cause you just may need it when you least expect it.

I spent today totally wiped out, in bed, weak as a kitten and unable to keep anything down. Plus I messed another dentist appointment, an important one.  Tomorrow has to be better! Mostly because I have to start packing, make sure I have someplace to go and clean my very funky room up.

Does anyone know spanish for Lysol?



No comments:

Post a Comment