Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A NEW DAY DAWNING'.....hostel tres

I'm sorry I've sounded so negative about this place, about my experiences lately.  
Chalk it up to just not feeling very good and not being able to eat.  It got me down for a few too many days.  I woke up feeling better!  The antibiotic must be working on the tummy bugs and I was able to actually eat some cereal (with water-they ran out of leche) and some toast this morning with the group of young girls now living here...the jocks having gone on to some other place.

I recognize some German or Swiss, the arguing French girls are still here and still arguing and slamming doors, there is a group of 4 girls from Peru who are stunning, with faces like they were chisled out of coffee colored marble and cheekbones that could cut diamonds.  I'd die for cheekbones like they have.  And huge dark eyes and long regal noses--wow I've never seen a Peruvian woman before..I wish I could paint faces!

The guy from Detroit is still here-he's my age and we talk.  He's cool.  Gave my laundry to the day clerk and hopefully it will be done tomorrow evening so I can pack it up because hopefully I'm coming home Wednesday.

Staying here is real cheap, and it's a ya get what ya pay for type of thing.  I admit that if I could have gotten in at the Hilton (at $120 a nite) I would have been more comfortable-but here I am both saving money and experiencing living on the cheap, which was one of the goals of this trip.  And, if I decide to come back, of the next trip also as much if my time then will be homestays with Tico families.

Today is cooler and overcast, though early this morning it was pretty clear.  Instead of roosters and dogs barking to wake me up, I have the smell of diesel and the constant sound of car horns blowing. 

  The taxi ride last night at about 7:30 PM was frightening to me.  Paseo Colon becomes Aveneda Central and it's a one way street, with parking on both sides until 7 PM, when it becomes a *5* lane street.  However since cars don't move from the parking spots in time, and are then towed away, at 7:10 or so it is jammed with cops and tow trucks impounding the still parked carros.  However, since everyone knows it is supposed to be 5 lanes, they try and fit 5 cars into 3 lanes by making personal adjustments in where they choose to drive.  Fast.

The taxi driver straddled the white line between two other taxis, one weaving in and out where the parked cars were being inpounded, the other weaving in and out of the lane on his right.  And other taxis and cars and delivery trucks and motos were all doing the same thing.  Fast.

We'd race from stop light to stop light to see who got to be there first (there could be no other reason). screech to a stop, the motos would come up between the carros and taxis and trucks and putt-putt-putt there with 2" between their handle bars and the fender, wobbling because it isn't macho to put your foot down I guess, the anticipate the light to get ahead of the 4 wheeled rolling stock.  The red light is not always observed as a stop sign-to traffic going the other direction it may signal "You can make it thru".  So the motos come inches from being creamed from the side by drivers lax opinion of the very red light.  Then everyone lays on the horn.

We did this signal after signal.  You'd never guess that gas is still about $5.00 a gal here-though it is scheduled to come down sometime this month to $4.00 a gal.  I'd never have the courage or the balls to drive in San Jose, especially at night!

I slept hard.all the walking is good for me but tiring.  I noticed my Clarks walking shoes-real old lady but so comfortable for walking in-are about worn out!  I got them before our 2006 trip and have worn them off and on at home, but almost all the time here.  They would have been enough to bring, except walking Dobbie in the muddy fields required a shoe that was at least covered on the toes.

It's a 45 block walk to the dentist-sort of down hill and I can saunter it in about 45 minutes during the day.  Since I usually cab back, and that takes a half an hour, it's pretty much a wash what I do-depends on how I feel.  Today I'm walking to MultiPlaza San Pedro, in the University district.  Looking forward to my shoes (I hope I hope).

Dentist is @ 4PM for a fitting with adjustments being made for a couple of hours they say, then if all goes well I get to take a trial run with the permanent replacements.  Tomorrow will be a final adjustment period and if no big goofs have been done, I'll be finished.

Then I'll  go to R/L clinic for my lip plumping and come back to pack..and that will be it for this trip.  Thinking positive here!

more to come........

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey sis... time to update your blog. Sure would like to come down to see you soon, are you at home or Kirs..

    All well here, it's been c-o-l-d here, ice doesn't seem to be leaving anytime soon. Oh well, makes spring all the more beautiful.

    Love you so much sis!!

    ReplyDelete