Wednesday, December 10, 2008

HOSTEL..quatro (or what the heck do I expect for 20 bucks anyhow?)

Day 3 in the Hostel from Hell..guess I'm getting used to it.  Or I'm feeling slightly better and not as crabby.  I've made a couple of friends, went shopping with a couple of the Peruvian girls and generally have been more social.

So I have to write some positives about this dump..I mean place.  It's friendly, the manager and housekeepers are quick to be helpful.  It's convenient to just about everywhere in downtown San Jose and in a safe neighborhood.  It's cheap.

I like the concept of a $20.00 room..and yes, I don't have to pay for my 'private bathroom' that is used by everyone in the computer area.  The manager and I had a discussing the 3rd time I cleaned it up-he saw me with mop and cleaner and asked what I was doing.  I was surprised (not) that he didn't realize that everyone  use the toilet in the computer room when they were there hanging out and drinking beer.

Today I'm doing some packing-I have to pay someone to do my laundry even though the washing machines are also in the computer room..but they aren't for use by anyone but the housekeeping staff..and like most places here, there is no dryer.  So things get hung up on the indoors clothesline, which is right out the door of my 'privatado bano', with a scenic view of what could be a lovely courtyard but is presently just used for trash and storing old machinery.

There are a lot of places around here to eat, and a lot of bars to visit.  Though my bar hopping has been sort of restricted lately, if I felt better I'd be out dancing most nights..I can hear the music in my room.

The shower...it does have hot water, but it's heated with an element thats connected to the shower head..and not grounded either.  It's called a suicide shower by the ex-pat's here.  You have to be sure you get the temperature adjusted prior to getting in the shower and making yourself a giant ground rod.  Avoid adjusting the temp with wet hands and feet.

All in all, it's been an experience

No comments:

Post a Comment