Wednesday, December 10, 2008

HOSPITAL DE MEXICO...tres

After a restless night I woke to the chatter of birds and Ticas readying themselves for a new day and breakfast.  It was about 6:30 and a beautiful day from what I could tell.  Breakfast consisted of pinto y gallo, naturalmente, huevos revueltos, jugos y platano.  Or beans and rice, of course, scrambled eggs, juice and bananas.  Y cafe  and coffee, some of the worse coffee I've had in Costa Rica, home of pretty excellent coffee most of the time.  I picked at it, drank my mystery juice and ate some eggs, waiting for a visit from a doctor so I could blow this joint.  

I kept seeing huge dollar (or colon) signs, sure I was blowing all my reserve idly laying on my ass in a hospital bed.

About 90 minutes after I ate, I again got the poopies and beat it to the bano, womans bano this time just in the nick.  I remembered I had a Cipro to take then so I did, but I still felt pretty bad-feverish and a bit of an upset tummy.

Round about 11:30 a nurse and doctor came by..the nurse spoke english and translated for the doctor..they were going to release me so long as I would go directly home and there was someone to take care of me.

I lied, said sure there was (did the dog count)? and by 1:30 was waiting for a taxi in front of the hospital, bag of dirty clothes, a water bottle, my computer and my book in hand.  The trip back to the ridge took almost 2 hours and we had to stop twice for 'health reasons'.

Finally arriving back on the ridge, frantic Dobbie got fed and let off his lead, where he has spent a day and night, I took him for a short run in the coffee fields and then brought him inside and went to bed..and there I stayed for the next 2 days.

Oh-the cost of all this? $700.00 which was covered by trip insurance I had bought for $35.00.  I'd have to submit it, but $700.00 was much less than I had figured for a day in the E.R., followed by a night in the hospital, 6 lab tests and a raft of blood glucose tests.  I was told that they kept checking my B.G. because I had been a 45 with I checked into the E.R....that really really low.

But I still felt pretty sick..thank goodness Bev would be home in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment